2 lbs yellow onions
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cans (14 ounces each) beef broth
1 cup water
2 cups grated swiss cheese
1 Loaf French Bread
- Cut onions into small slices.
- In a large pot, heat butter and oil at medium heat. Add onions, pepper and half a cup of beef broth…cook for 10 minutes until onions soften.
- Reduce heat to low, add rest of beef broth and cook slowly for about 90 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are dark.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in water, simmer at medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut bread in 1-inch pieces, place on baking sheet and bake until dry, about 5 minutes per side.
- Pour soup into heat-proof bowls, float bread pieces on top, and cover with grated cheese.
- Broil 2-3 minutes until cheese is bubbling. Serve with French bread.