10 Things About Me
1. I made my first radio appearance at age 11, as the “Junior member” of the Madison Coin Club before the big annual show. A nerd then and now.
2. My alarm is set for 3:50AM, but I usually wake up earlier. That’s what 30-plus years on a morning radio show does to you.
3. I wish Bridgeman’s was still around. It’s hard to find a good malt.
4. I have no problem imagining 40,000 listeners each morning. Addressing 40 people in a room makes me nervous.
5. I can no longer ride a Tilt-A-Whirl.
6. Even though it was her time, the death of my golden retriever in 2011 was tougher for me than the death of any relative.
7. When end-of-life is near, we are kinder to our animals than our relatives. I hope that changes in my lifetime.
8. Green pepper is my favorite pizza topping.
9. I enjoy hearing from Magic listeners. 321-0098 rings in the studio, and my e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org
10. My daughter is a gourmet cook. My wife and I were not her inspiration.
I said hello to Brisbane last Friday. He’s the two month-old grandson of Dave Hanson, a good friend who died unexpectedly in January. Dave was a long-time Magic 98 sales staffer and a well-known Madison musician with
Here’s pretty much all I know about the restaurant business: it’s harder than it looks, the hours are long, and finding good help is tough. Still, here’s what I’d say to some owners who are making changes:
Walking my dog leads to lots of conversations with strangers. It happened three times on Saturday. The first was a fellow golden owner, a nice young woman with a beautiful pup. As we were talking, an older
Here’s a 1980s photo of my friend Dave Hanson, with his daughters Anna and Melissa. He worked in the Magic 98 sales department. Our families would get together to grill burgers while Dave and I would shoot
Our family used to hit the road on weekends and visit all the area antique malls. There were dozens all around southern Wisconsin. My wife and I liked advertising signs, and our daughter built a large collection
I don’t think Gary “Indiana” Cannalte has truly enjoyed the outstanding play of this year’s Chicago Cubs. He’s seen it before, a strong regular season followed by playoff failure. Gary has an encyclopedic knowledge of the sport
I was sorry to hear that actor John Hostetter has passed at age 69. He may look somewhat familiar in this picture from the 1980s, on the left. Not long after this, he got his big break
We just spent a "staycation" when my daughter was in town from the West Coast. Saturday night dinners were feasts she prepared after hitting the Farmers' Market, but aside from that, finding new places to eat was
The Beatles' Live at the Hollywood Bowl will be released next month, and my wife and I will enjoy it for different reasons. Being an audio nerd. I’m looking forward to hearing more of the band and
Here’s a peek at the Magic Music Vault. In this age of digital downloads, our engineers believe CDs still provide the best audio quality, so Magic 98 still has a big collection. A company called Murfie in Middleton helped